Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Story of the Handstand

that So it's leap day. Up until this year, I didn't really think that much of it.  But with all this media frenzy (meaning the leap day episodes of 30 Rock and Modern Family) I have realized that leap day is kind of a big deal.  It's an entire extra day of your life that you only get every 4 years!
And I've been wasting it.
Case in point, today I did exactly what I do every Wednesday:
1. Class
2. Lunch
3. Class
4. Gym
5. Class
6. Dinner
7. Attempted to watch Jeopardy...(long story short, my TV insisted that ABC had to be both channels 8 and 13 therefore not allowing me to watch)
8. Facebook, Pinterest, Email, more Pinterest...aka procrastinated
And now here I am, still not doing my homework, and sill following the same old boring routine.
Considering it's 11:30 I didn't have much time though to do a special leap day activity.  So I decided to try and do a handstand.
It's nothing crazy, but it's not something I do every day.  Frankly, it's not something I've ever done (except maybe underwater, but that doesn't count.)
So this is the story of the handstand:
It started out slow.  First I tried to do that yoga pose I have a hard time with every week that is more of a half handstand which looks a little bit like this:
Of course this is a poor picture, and a poor example of the pose but you get the idea.
After doing that a few times, mainly to get this picture, I decided to move up to the big leagues.
Hand-stand-land.
After giving myself a mini pep talk I put my hands on the ground, kicked my legs over and...
back down they came.
So I tried again, and again, and again, and again until i fell, narrowly missing my head ending up in a weird, contorted, heap on the floor, and then I tried again until the clock struck midnight, and leap day was over.  I was determined to do it, and with the 2 minutes left I tried my hardest to kick my legs over.  Unfortunately gravity won this battle.
I never did touch that door with my feet, but I got over that fear of taking that first step.  I embraced the total loss of control just for that second when my feet were in limbo, and for me, that was a leap (sorry, the holidays bring out the sentimental cheesy side in me.)
I guess there's always next time.  Although, now that I've taken this leap (I can't stop!), maybe I shouldn't wait 4 more years to try again.
Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment