Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fresh Perspectives

I'm not just a kid.
For starters, I'm 19 years old which makes me one year older than all the other legal adults, but that's not the point. The point is, I have a lot to me. So far I've shown you a little bit of my artistic side (more of that to come), and obviously my humorous side (just kidding), but now I would like to introduce you to the writer in me.
She says, "how do you do?"
(She is a little bit more formal. And she wears glasses.)
Anyways, since my short story is still a work in progress, I thought I would try something new out in the mean time. A sort of mixed media project. And all I need is a picture and my imagination.
So here it goes, enjoy!


(photo by me)

This is it. The first game of the season. Four years of football camp, four seasons of high school varsity, a scholarship, and I'm finally here. College football. In a few hours the stadium will be full of screaming fans, the field full of screaming coaches and players, but all I'll hear is my adrenaline amplified heartbeat echoing off the cavernous inside of my helmet.
I remember my dad's voice as he stood with me in this same spot on the first day of preseason, "You did it son. Now get out there and make me proud," he said as he thumped his open hand on my back.
I walk onto the field past the ten yard line, the twenty...the numbers begin to blur as I run down the field now, my cleats slamming on the turf, my hands slicing through the icy fall air faster and faster until I reach up and feel the rough leather pressed between my palms. I cradle the ball under my arm and keep running. All I see is the span green of the turf in front of me, the white stripes marking how far I've gone, my heart keeps rhythm with my feet.
Bu-bum, bu-bum, bu-bum...BUM.
My chest caves in around the players helmet as he slams into me. My head flies forward and my feet slip out from under me. The green of the turf quickly changes to blue sky as my body flies backwards, my head ricocheting off the rubbery turf until I settle into the ground.
"FIRST DOWN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment