Sunday, August 14, 2011

Travel Journal Day 5


My friends are back in town! (well a few still aren't, but its a pretty good group back that are here)
So in celebration, we decided to have a French picnic in front of the Washington Monument (ala Eiffel Tower) complete with our tradition of kite flying.
In all of our planning though, the one thing no one thought to do was check the weather.
So of course as we are driving downtown, a HUGE ray of lightning breaks the sky open in front of us. We look at each other and decide to head to the art studio at school where we always used to spend our afternoons instead.
We decided it could be equally as French as the Washington Monument, we would just pretend we were in the catacombs in Paris! Not to mention the studio is in the shadow of the National Cathedral, which could be DC's Notre Dame, and the teacher to whom the studio belongs to is in France as I write.
After a toast to friends and new beginnings
(yeah, we're original)
we pigged out on our impressive spread.
By the time we had finished our picnic, the rain had seemed to clear out and the wind had picked up so we decided to head downtown again for some kite flying.
Of course by the time we got downtown and started flying the kites, the sky began to look like this...
and then it began to pour shortly there after.














So I danced.
My clothes were completely soaked, my face was dripping and the rain was coming down heavy around me but I just threw my hands up and ran, and spun around, and jumped, and twirled and everything else.
Why not?
Soaking wet, I returned to my friends who had taken refuge in front of the monument and were completely dry. But I enjoyed every minute of my time in the rain so I didn't envy them.
Unfortunately, most of my friends had to leave soon after.
Fortunately, I was able to spend the rest of the day, and night, with my friend who had just come back into town from Ireland.

Oh! Before I forget, here's the story of the meteor shower.
3:45 AM- I wake up. I notice that my parents are not awake. So it's just me to watch the show.
4:00 AM-I make myself a cup of tea and sit on my porch, eagerly looking for meteors.
4:15 AM- I come back inside and do a little research on the computer.
Here is what I learned: the full moon makes the sky too bright to see most of the meteors.
4:20 AM- Damn it I woke up this early and I WILL see a meteor.
4:25 AM- Is that a meteor? Nope...I'm just seeing spots.
4:38 AM-fuck it.

And that's all for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment