Thursday, August 11, 2011

Travel Journal Day 3

Today's journey did not do the real Spain justice.
I guess DC is just too structured. Everyone is always rushing somewhere, the buildings are all straight with sharp corners, the sidewalks are empty and the streets are filled with rows of cars...It is complete opposite of what I remember Spain to be. I remember the streets were filled with people who walked all around me but never seemed to have anywhere to be. There were performers around every corner, and you could always hear music from somewhere, even in the silence. Even the architecture reflected my perception of the city as relaxed. The buildings curved, each one flowing into the next one, colored glass in the windows breaking up the harsh rays of the sun. Everything just seemed so arbitrary, carefree and better.
Of course this all seems too idyllic to be true.
Yet another reason why I need to visit Spain again.

Despite the chasm between the two cities, I decided to attempt to visit Spain in DC. But as I had suspected, there wasn't much to see. So I headed for the first sight of Spain, the New York avenue sculpture project. Inspired by Spain's very own Antonio Gaudi, Niki de Saint Phalle created these mosaic statues as part of an outdoor exhibit from the National Museum of Women in the Arts. It, of course, reminds me of Park Güell, one of my favorite places on this earth.
My favorites.

They are truly amazing.
After a leisurely walk around the median, I found myself a little bit inspired. Of course I was inspired by the mosaic aspect, but I also found myself realizing that I should embody the carefree spirit that I attributed to Spain. Why not dance in the middle of the street? These statues sure look like they are having a great time! Sometimes I just get a little bit lost in everything I forget to take a moment for myself.
Cheesy, yes. But who cares.

With a little more spring in my step, I decided to head to the National Museum of the American Indian, the only place with wave like architecture that I could think of in DC.
As much as I can't appreciate the inside of this museum, the outside is quite something.

Seeing as I couldn't come up with anything else that would do Spain justice, I decided to head to the art store. After all, Spain doesn't have a plethora of museums for nothing. Since I didn't have much time before my dinner reservation, I decide to keep it simple.
Inspired by Joan Miro this is my work in progress
It still needs a little color

But I had to make my dinner reservation so I headed off to Old Town Alexandria to La Tasca for some Tapas and Flamenco show!
The food was delicious, the dancing was beautiful, what more can I say? Unfortunately, I don't have much to show either.













Low light and moving subjects do not a good picture make. So here is the one half decent picture that I managed to snap.
(Of course, there are more pictures from today on my Tumblr so please check them out!)


I guess Spain is more about the culture and not so much about the sights. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place all along. Maybe I can bring Spain to DC, or rather to my every day life...
This is getting a little too cheesy for me.















No comments:

Post a Comment